Here are a few steps to get started:
- Set a Routine. No that does not mean you have to put on a suit or makeup. However, if you are not used to working from home, and now you are either in a full or part time capacity, it can be overwhelming to many people. Some normalcy will help with your mindset and productivity.
- Avoid Distractions. This is a hard one when making the change from a workplace environment to a homeplace work environment. If possible, try and work in a quiet place with as little distractions as possible (TV, Kids, Phones, etc.).
- Daily Action List. Productivity has dropped since work-from-home has increased. Some people just have a hard time getting going with their new work environment. Before you complete your day, ensure you have a solid to-do list for the next morning. It also helps to prioritize your lists. I don’t stop until I get my top 3 things done for the day.
- Move. When you get in-the-zone, you may find yourself sitting for hours at a time. You forget to move, eat, and stretch which can take a toll on your body and mind. Be sure to get up from your workstation and move around. You can set an alarm or just be sure to get up and move for 10 minutes on the hour. Moving will refresh you, help keep the juices flowing, and break up the day. Plus, the more exercise you can get in during the day, the better you will sleep at night.
- Sleep. Be sure to get your rest. I realize that is easier said than done but sleep is one of the most significant things you can do for yourself long term.
- Keep your eye on the Prize. You have your goals. Stay focused on those goals and go after them every day.
There are hundreds of tips that could be attached to this article, but let these serve as a starting point for you. Good luck, you got this!